Assertiveness Skills Program
Assertiveness is a skill for effective communication in which you listen to others’ opinions while also asserting your own opinions and ideas. It differs from aggressiveness in which the sole focus is on asserting one's own rights, and passiveness in which a person does not speak up for themselves. In this course, you will learn how to speak up by using proven frameworks to express your own thoughts candidly while considering the needs of others.
Learn how to communicate efficiently and assertively with colleagues and clients at all levels in an organization. This program helps you apply practical win-win communication techniques to solve common workplace problems.
Anyone seeking solutions for interpersonal communication challenges both in and outside the company.
Can be conducted both in person and online
- Understand what assertive communication is and why it is important
- Distinguish between assertive, aggressive and passive behaviors, and clarify appropriate situations for using each style
- Apply assertiveness techniques in work-related situations, and gain greater confidence in your ability to communicate assertively
- Recognize common barriers to assertive communication
- Develop a real-world action plan for applying assertive communication on the job
This program covers the same material as the in-person version.
Learning methods and tools
This program centers on experiential learning and uses a wide variety of group exercises for practicing and applying skills including:
- Exercises and discussions to reflect on one's own thinking and behavior
- Pair, small-group and classroom discussion
- Role play with cases studies
- Personal action planning
Note: All our programs can be customized to meet your company’s specific needs.
- Definition and benefits of assertiveness
- Understand the fundamental model of assertive communication
- Learn techniques and expressions for assertively communicating requests
- Learn how to say "No" to requests while maintaining a win-win relationship.
- Learn techniques and expressions to express difference of opinion while maintaining a win-win relationship.
- Practice active listening skills
- Understand how to overcome obstacles to communicate assertively