Negotiation Skills Program
We use negotiation skills routinely when working with peers, management, clients, suppliers and other stakeholders inside and outside of the company. So, building strong negotiation skills can give you a competitive advantage for achieving your goals.
Learn win-win negotiation skills based on theories developed at Harvard University that will help you effectively achieve your business goals while building positive relationships with others.
Managers and employees who conduct formal and informal negotiations including contracting with clients and their procurement departments, resolving cross-functional conflict on project teams, working with suppliers and resolving other types of team conflict.
Can be conducted both in person and online
- Understand some common negotiation approaches, including the essentials of “win-win” negotiation.
- Learn and practice a proven process for achieving goals while maintaining or building trust with others.
- Raise awareness of your own negotiation style and understand your strengths and weaknesses.
- Learn techniques for handling different negotiation situations.
- Develop your own negotiation strategy through self-reflection and group work.
This program covers the same material as the in-person version.
Learning methods and tools
The program centers on experiential learning and uses a wide variety of group exercises for applying and practicing skills including:
- Exercises and discussions to reflect on one's own thinking and behavior
- Pair, small-group and classroom discussion
- Role play with cases
- Personal action planning
- Features of Win-Win Negotiation
- Three Processes of Win-Win Negotiation (Preparation, Implementation, Agreement)
- Thomas Kilman's mode of dealing with conflict
- Exercise: Thinking through your own negotiation case
- Active listening skills
- Assertiveness skills
- Exercise: Practicing Thomas Skillman's Conflict Modes and Communication Skills
- Dealing with difficult counterparties